Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Monday, September 22, 2008

Wuthering Heights


Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Well the front of the book pretty much says it all..........bleak, bleak, bleak. The first time I read Wuthering Heights was a long time ago and I hated it. This time I loved it. It was easier to get into the characters. I think that came with age. They were all nearly unredeemable, yet I could better understand how they came to be the way they were.
Most of this book is a flash back. It is told to a newcomer to the area by the servant Ellen or Nelly. It is a sordid, evil tale. It speaks of jealous love and the wicked lengths people will go to, to get what they want or die trying. The characters are mean, black hearted people. The love story is wretched. Not a one of them is ever happy.
The wrtiting style is lovely and very descriptive. I did have a hard time reading the parts of Joseph, the wretched old religious man. He spoke in broken cockney or something, with a tough accent to follow unless I read it outloud to myself. Though if you do not like English Literature you won't enjoy the writing style. Very wordy, yet beautiful.
I give the book a 4.5. I really enjoyed it this time. It truly stirs feels and emotions, although they usually aren't good ones.
The book is rated PG. The characters are mean, manipulative and violent.

2 comments:

Ratchfords said...

I haven't read this since my college days and I loved it then for the "passionate" romance between Heathcliff and Cathy. (right names?) I remember even writing down quotes from it. Now as I think back (after reading your review) I realize how messed up they really were! Funny how different books affect you differently depending on when you read them...

I love this blog!

Erin

PS Will you please tell your lovely sister in law Anna Leah that she needs to start blogging right now and that I miss her?

Mystial Batwoman said...

This was seriously one of my favorites...too bad there havn't been any well made movies of it. I read Jane Eyre first by Michelle Bronte I believe. Is she the sister to Emily Bronte? Can't go wrong with bitterness, insanity and fragile women!