Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Fablehaven

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

This is a young adult/juvenile fiction book. I read it out loud to my four children (ages 8,6,3, baby......but he didn't listen, he just bit me until I paid attention to him)
The story is about a secret preserve which houses fairytale creatures. Awesome premise. The caretaker's grandchildren come to visit and eventually find out the secret. The grandchildren are Kendra and Seth. Kendra seemed a bit flat and Seth drove me nuts. He was the catalyst for most of the events, so I see that it was necessary that he was irritating and extremely disobedient. I felt like the book moved slowly at the beginning. This could have been because it did or because I was reading aloud and therefore could not read at my normal pace. Once it gets moving though, the book is truly magical. The children take part in fun, scary, wonderful, empowering experiences. There are fairies, magic milk, demons and other outrageous creatures.
I can see how the kids can really get into this. The story shows how powerful and brave one child (person) can be. This is a definite recommend for anyone. It is a fairly good read aloud book also.
I will rate Fabelhaven a 4. It was great at parts, and slow at the beginning. It is a definite G for language and such. Neither I or my children found it scary.........although for the tender and faint of heart, there is a festival night where scary things happen.

2 comments:

Mystial Batwoman said...

Love it! I'm on number 3. Do your kids enjoy the reading time? I tried reading Spiderwick to mine and they couldn't stay into it enough to make it fun. Any suggestions?

AMPM said...

We are still on book 2 of this series. We haven't tried Spiderwick, the library never has book 1 in. Books that my kiddos really like right now are the Tree House Series. Two children get in their tree house and open a book and go to where ever the book is about. Lots of adventure and there are a ton of books in the series. I think you can probably start anywhere in the series also. Big plus....the library has a lot of them.