Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lost Boys


Wow, okay the book picture turned out bigger than I expected!!
This is Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card.
OSC is LDS. He is an author. I don't think that makes him an LDS author though. (He's better known for his Sci Fi series 'Ender's Game" which is also really good.) With that said............
I was absolutely shaken by this book. It is one of those things you read and then it sort of stirs about your brain for awhile after. Step and his wife DeAnne have 3 kids and one on the way. Step is a computer programer. He moves his family to a small southern town for his job. In the town, there have been a rash of disappearing boys. How the family ever overlooks this and doesn't know every single fact, including the missing children's favorite color is beyond me. I mean........ maybe I'm a nut, but I am a mother living in a small town. We obsess about these kinds of things. The Fletchers don't. Many crudy things befall this family. It seems for a bit that the book isn't addressing what you think it is supposed to be about. Then at some point I realized the whole story is what the book is about. How bad things happen to good people, even the ones that pray and go to church. (The family is LDS and that does play a part in their characters. I would say that it doesn't detract from the book, for anyone not wanting to read LDS fiction. This IS NOT LDS fiction.) The oldest son Stevie has an incredibly rough, even painful time at the new school. He begins haning out with what the family assumes are imaginary friends. The friends just happen to have the same names as the 'lost boys'. (Hello parents, get a clue.) Beyond the fact that the parents seems to be missing a screw and not worrying themselves into a good mouth foaming................I LOVE this book. I totally identify with Step's personality. He's a little mouthy and totally defends his child. Yeah Step, you're the man. Way to whoop some tail! DeAnne is okay too, very motherly. I like her. Great story line, not too many holes. Characters you can totally get into. Then you get freaked out. Then you bawl your eyes out. That is what I call a wicked good read. Make me FEEL something!
So I give this book a 5. I would rate it between PG and PG 13. Step has a mouth on him. Remember.............I have a high threshold for language. I really don't remember much of it, but I do know DeAnne gets mad at Step for his language, other wise I probably wouldn't remember anything. Sorry about any vagueness, I don't want to spoil any parts of the book. Go read something wicked good!

3 comments:

Mystial Batwoman said...

is it at the helper library? I'm assuming yes...I'll go check it out.

American Homemaker said...

I work at the Covey Center in Provo and this play will be there in October. I'm dying to read the book even though I already know the ending.

AMPM said...

Ah! So happy to know American Homemaker! Thanks!