Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Friday, September 5, 2008

The Mysterious Benedict Society

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

This book makes it cool to be smart, Yay!! First off I want to say I had to be coerced a bit to read this book. I wanted to read it. It just wasn't an urgent want. So it took required reading (book club) to finally convince me to put aside everything else and pick this one up. Sounding a little lack luster, isn't it?
Reynie, Kate, Sticky and Constance are all orphans in some manner, that are brought together by answering a strange add in the newspaper. The add asks for gifted children looking for special opportunities. Each child is shear genius in one way or another. They come together and form the Mysterious Benedict Society. They have a secret mission, which as you journey on with them, you can also try to solve the puzzles put forth to the children. This was really fun. I have only read the very beginning to my kids and so far they love it. The characters become endearing rather quickly. The book is paced quickly enough and quirky enough to keep everyone's attention. It is a great read for a family, for 9 year olds and up (on their own) and for any adult.
I rate this book a 4. I wasn't in love with it. I didn't cry and didn't mull it over for very long after I finished it. There were some surprising moments and fun brainy puzzles. It is out of the ordinary and fun. I would surely give it a G also. Incredibly clean with no parts you will have to worry about for kids reading it on their own and no parts you will have to edit if reading aloud.

No comments: