Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Shack

The Shack by William Paul Young

The Shack is a book about more than one story I would say. First there is the story......and then there is the theology. The story intrigued me. I was drawn in by the cover of the book and then I read the back. A child kidnapped and then the father's healing by spending a weekend with God in the 'shack' where the child was held.

I should have known that I wasn't going to love this book like the zillions of other people that read it because......a) zillions of others liked it.........b) I had to put it down when I realized what was happening to the child..........c) zillions of others liked it.

I hate to say that I don't like this book because I feel like it was a truly faithful and heartfelt endeavor by the author. However I do not like this book and would caution against reading it. If you already have a religion.......you are going to be upset by the messed up theology. If you don't, I would hate for you to read this book and think that it held truth.

On the flip side I am happy that this book has touched so many because that means that there are people out there searching for a personal relationship with God. And that relationship can only bring good to their lives.

The story did make some good points. That God, Jesus and The Holy Ghost are three separate people. The are only one in the sense that they basically have the same mind set about everything. Also I did feel like it did a great job of explaining free agency and its vital importance to everything. God explained that He cannot stop people from making choices because if He stopped one choice He would have to stop all choice..........that making everything pointless. He also explained how he does not create 'bad' things but He will use them to His advantage in bringing to pass 'good'. These were great explanations and I hope that any one that reads this book concentrates on these things.

Also I did like the magical quality and the beauty that was described. The 'story' was a good story.

The things that were clearly horrible were the way that Adam was made to seem like he messed up the whole 'plan' by the choice he and Eve made. This is not so. Without choosing to become mortal the 'plan' had no where to go.

Also the Commandments or basically any rule was made to seem foolish. I believe God actually told Mack (the main character) that he did not have to follow any rules. There was a confusing explanation why this was so.

It also seemed like Jesus was the good guy and God was the bad guy. But then the book really never gave Jesus credit for everything he did. Which if you are a Christian means EVERYTHING.

A huge thing for me also was the way that God was portrayed. I did not like the 'character' he was given to play. If that is what God really was I would not have a problem. But it isn't.

There were surely touching and poignant scenes and some great bits of truth but they were so mixed with untruth that I cannot recommend this book.

Rating 2 I wasn't gagging but I also didn't have a very good feeling when I read this. Many of you may now laugh because I admit to reading unsavory things now and then. However they are put out as unsavory.......not as gospel. I cannot give this book a 1 because there were some points made that were really really good. I am mostly certain that I will throw this book away instead of passing it on.
Rating G

No comments: