Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Memoirs of a Geisha


Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Chiyo was not born to be a geisha. She was sold into what basically seems like prostitution even though that isn't what geisha is supposed to be. Chiyo's mother was dying and her father was aged. A man from a nearby village takes Chiyo and her sister. Chiyo thinks the man will be adopting them. Instead Chiyo is sold to an okiya to be a maid and someday geisha. Her sister is not as lovely and is sold into prostitution.

The story is a lovely one. I am not at all familiar with Eastern history or the life of geisha. I am not sure how truthful this story is. I do wish that it contained more history or maybe the psychology of Eastern tradition because I still don't understand why there are geisha instead of just prostitutes.

Eventually Chiyo is able to begin training to be a geisha though it didn't look promising for quite some time. When she begins her training she receives her new geisha name which is Sayuri. Through most of the book Sayuri is in love with the Chairman. Everything she does is so that one day he may love (I'm not sure that is the right word, but I guess it is.) her in return. Sayuri becomes one of the most successful geisha in Kyoto. She has a danna (sugar daddy) by the time she is eighteen, which is not common.

During WWII all of the geisha are put out and must find some other form of work. Sayuri is lucky enough to have caught the eye of a man that has wanted her for years. He is wealthy and powerful enough to get her into a home in the country where she can live and work. Once the war is over, Nubo (the man that wants to be her new danna) tells her she must return to Kyoto and resume her position as geisha. He tells her if is business is successful enough in the future he will become her danna. This is a huge blow to Sayuri. The Chairman is business partners with Nubo. If Nubo becomes her danna, she and the Chairman can never have a relationship. It would not be honorable.

By the end I am desperate for Sayuri to get the love she desires so much. I do not however like the way she went about trying to achieve that. On one hand I have to give her credit for taking her life into her own hands and not letting other people tell her what she must do. But it was so dishonorable I cringe.

I don't love the lifestyle that Sayuri had to live. I did find the book some how lovely to imagine though. I liked that Sayuri rose to the top despite the odds. I didn't like that geisha seem to be owned by everyone except themselves. I did like that she finally freed herself, or at least saw herself as free because she was willing to make her own choices.

Rating 4 Although I give it a 4, I will probably read it again. I don't want to give it a five because I feel like geisha is beautiful slavery.
Rating R Child abuse, prostitution, sex, violence

No comments: