Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Keeping Faith

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

The book begins with an uptight Mariah White finding out that her husband is a cheat. Divorce quickly follows and on its heals the divine undoing of their seven year old daughter Faith. Mariah is in a deep funk. She has previously suffered from suicidal depression at which time Colin (her husband) had her institutionalized. As Mariah struggles with depression, divorce, and feeling like she is less than perfect as a mother..........Faith begins singing snippets of scripture, talking to God and healing the sick and dead. Faith up to this point has not had religion in her life. Faith and Mariah become trapped in their home as only modern day media have the ability to do. Ian Fletcher a self proclaimed atheist and TV personality shows up to discredit Faith's religious experiences. Colin quickly learns of the media frenzy from television........(criminy) and begins a custody battle.
I have always enjoyed the writing of Jodi Picoult. She did not let me down this time either. I was kept guessing the whole time whether Faith was having some kind of religious experience or not.........even though I felt like there was pretty solid proof. Picoult made a good case for both sides. I ended up enjoying Mariah as a mother and reading about her change from an uptight, obsessive, depressed woman to being a great mom. She stopped dwelling on herself and was able to pull through into a good life. I think that is key for anyone feeling imperfect and sad.....a good dose of thinking about someone else for awhile. (I'm not Tom Cruz here.........I never said not to medicate suicidal depression.)
I also enjoyed watching the 'doubting Thomas' and his personal struggles and changes throughout the experience.
Rating 4.75
Rating PG 13 Adult relationships but not graphic, F word infrequently used and I wish they wouldn't have.

No comments: