Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bunnicula

Bunnicula by James Howe and Deborah Howe

This tale is told by the family dog Harold. The Monroe family find a suspicious little bunny. He is abandoned at the movie theater. After bringing him home and struggling over a name, they decide to keep him and name him Bunnicula.........since the movie they were watching was Dracula. Quickly enough strange happenings! The vegetables are turning white. Is it a blight? Mrs. Monroe thinks so. Or is Bunnicula a vampire? Chester the cat is convinced. He and Harold come up with a plan to rid the family of the blood sucking (veggie juice really) little bunny.

I have to admit that when I read this book when I was little...........I was the itty bitty bittest convinced that this was a real story written by the dog. I was also a little afraid. The book is cute and not at all scary these days. It has a little vampire lore but not enough to freak anyone out. The animals are funny and the family is a nice sweet family all functioning fairly well in society............well except for the mom is a lawyer.

Since we read this as a family I will let my eight year old be the one to rate it.
Rating 5 She liked the vegetables turning white, the antics of the cat (frequently freaked out), and the dog trying to save the bunny.

Rating G












No comments: