Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Monday, June 14, 2010

The Luxe


I have heard this series likened to Gossip Girl.  Since I have no idea what that is I can't say one way or  the other.  I suspect it wasn't always a flattering comaprison though.  Either way.......I have to admit up front that I liked this book.  Originally I was attracted to the cover like a child to a chocolate bar.  The dress is phenominal!  I still put off picking it up and reading it for a very long time......but like anything pink and glittery, I will eventually sucumb.
Elizabeth Holland is at the top of the richie rich game in New York elite society 1899.  She is in love with the stable boy.  She is engaged to Henry Schoonmaker; rich, handsome, playboy.  Liz's bestie, evil biddy wrapped in scarlet, Penelope Hayes.....wants her finely sharpened claws dug into Henry.  Liz's little sis Diana is in love with the Henry that no one else sees.  Not a one of them is going to get what they want. 
I can admit this is a fluff piece.  Yet I really connected with the heartfelt desire to have what you can't.  I am not kidding, I even shed a tear......well a few.  Yes, it was pool side and I do consider this light reading.  But I did feel strongly about the girls.....the saner two....having to watch while what they wanted more than anything slipped from their fingers. 

Rating 4.......I know, sort of fluffy for a 4 but I tell you, I'm in it for the desire.
Rating PG 13  Sneaking off to the stables and the green house, or one of the many kitchens in your mansion for a tryst gets you a PG 13.  It wasn't salacious really or even well described but I wouldn't want my 10 year old to read this even though she is literate enough.

No comments: