Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Great And Terrible Beauty

A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Gemma is left at a Victorian England boarding school after she witnesses the death of her mother in a vision.  She quickly realizes that she is an outsider in a place she used to long for.  Transplanted from India into a group of hostile mean girls, in a society she once ached for but now regrets how her desires came about.  Gemma is paired with Ann, another outcast.  Her quick wit, snarkiness and eventually her powers to see beyond,  cause the elite girls to see her as an asset.  The girls form a secret society using Gemma's supernatural powers.  They begin to realize the power they are capable of.....power to have anything they desire. 

Beautiful title, lovely book cover, likeable and entertaining story.  The drawback for me are the vision scenarios...I didn't get into them, or maybe I did. I didn't like the feeling of confusion, darkness, dreaminess.  It didn't make sense to me or wasn't concrete enough for me to grasp.  The lurking evil wasn't really explained well enough for it to feel as truly menacing as it should have been.  I think the book was capable of being much scarier which would have given it the substance needed to make it a great book.

Rating 3.5
Rating PG 13  Murder, supernatural.....scarey elements, sensuality.

No comments: