Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Friday, October 31, 2008

Blind Side


Hmm, Strangely small picture.........
Blind Side by Clair M. Poulson
The book was about Noletta, a law school student. She is a victim of a random shooting, after stumbling upon a crime scene. After being shot in the head and left to die, she recovers, but is stricken blind. About 2 years later the book continues with Noletta back in law school and living with her guide dog Taffy. (She had Taffy at the time of the shooting. Taffy attacked the shooter, but was not injured herself. Taffy had been Noletta's pet, but was later trained to be her guide dog.) The person that shot Noletta knows she is still alive and tries to find out what she remembers and then kill her. Also, since the dog was a witness, the killer dog naps the dog.
A Salt Lake City detective, Martin, begins working her case.
*Spoiler* He and Noletta become very close as the case begins to climax.
Noletta is also involved with Walton a fellow law student. Creed, Walton's cousin is also vying for the affection of the lovely Noletta.
The book was more interesting than I thought it would be. It was a book club choice, not made by me. These are books that I generally read. I was hoping for one that I wouldn't normally pick up. The writing style is very simple, which bothered me at times. I would find the characters saying things that didn't seem like conversation normal people would have, like I thought they used names too frequently during dialog, instead of either pronouns or not saying the name at all. The dialog was not detracting, but noticeable to me. Also, the author's choice of names cracks me up. Some of them are quirky. I simply attribute that to the author living in rural Utah. Utah seems to have it's own unique names.
Although this is published at LDS fiction, the LDS faith was brought up maybe 3 times and only in passing. It seemed like it was an attempt just to get it published by an LDS publishing house. So if you don't want to read LDS fiction, don't be put off, it really never came up.
Rating 4 Entertaining enough. I liked the main character and the cop (of course). I enjoyed the characters enough that I would have liked to know more about them as time went on.
Rating G I am again, glad to be able to pick up a book that I know will be clean.

2 comments:

Carol L. said...

I have, and enjoy every one of Clair Poulson's books. I think he does very well with his story telling. Covenant Communications, a leading publisher in Utah, must think so too....they have been publishing Clair's books for years now.

But I may be prejudiced....he is my son's father-in-law!!!

AMPM said...

Molly Brown,
Thanks for the comment. I do and have enjoyed many Clair Poulson books. Sorry if the critique didn't sound flattering. He does a great job. I really did enjoy the book. I was clarifying that it wasn't overly wrought with religion because many of my friends and family do not enjoy LDS literature and I wanted to assure them that there was more to this book.