Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Book Thief


The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Liesel Meminger is 9 years old when her brother dies, she is given to foster parents, she thieves her first book, she is in Nazi Germany.

"It’s a small story really, about, among other things:

* A girl
* Some words
* An accordionist
* Some fanatical Germans
* A Jewish fist fighter
* And quite a lot of thievery"

I can never do this book justice.   The writing was so descriptive it was like eating chocolate lava cake.  Every page had something I wish I could commit to memory.
The book is narrated by Death.  Death is fantastic.  He is truly poetic.......and I loved him.  The book was so lovely and destructive that I cried.
There are so many quotes I would rewrite half of the book if I put them all down here.........

"He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It's his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry." 

"I could introduce myself properly, but it's not really necessary. You will know me well enough and soon enough, depending on a diverse range of variables. It suffices to say that at some point in time, I will be standing over you, as genially as possible. Your soul will be in my arms. A color will be perched on my shoulder. I will carry you gently away. At that moment, you will be lying there (I rarely find people standing up). You will be caked in your own body. There might be a discovery; a scream will dribble down the air. The only sound I'll hear after that will be my own breathing, and the sound of the smell, of my footsteps."

"- proof again of the contradictory human being. So much good, so much evil. Just add water." 

"The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you."

 "Somewhere, far down, there was an itch in his heart, but he made it a point not to scratch it. He was afraid of what might come leaking out."

Rating 5  There were times when I felt a little anxious and the book felt long but the writing made up for it.
Rating PG 13  Lots of swearing, death, brutality......Nazi Germany. 

No comments: