Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Holy Secret

The Holy Secret by James Ferrell

By the author of 'The Peacegiver' (rating 5) comes the next instructive parable. I hate to lay it out there like this.......but it wasn't quite as good. Basically the book is a conversation between two adult men about learning to love things that are holy including the temple and the scriptures. A younger family man comes to an elderly ward member looking for answers after hearing him speak in sacrament meeting. He comes to realize during the talk that he doesn't love the temple or the scriptures. He wants to learn how.
It felt to me like the book began strong. It had a good break down of how to go through the scriptures asking questions in order to participate or have a conversation with the scriptures....thus gleaning more than merely buzzing through them just to gain another tally mark. The elderly man spoke about finding similitude's of Christ in other scripture stories. This is something I may have EVENTUALLY come up with, but I liked having it pointed out. I suspect for those of you who were either active as youth or didn't skip institute to make out with your boyfriend may have known these things already. So this book could be a great reminder.
Another aspect of the book that may have been one of the best parts, was the break down of the sacrament prayers. I took notes.
By the end, when we were getting to the temple parts......which is what I was truly interested in, it began to fade a little for me. I am on board with the vicarious work thing so I guess this part was just reminder for me. But who doesn't need a refresher? And then it ended......and I mean abruptly.
Rating 4 Some great info. made easy to read. Some of it was just refresher. Not up to par with Ferrell's first book.
Rating G

No comments: