Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace by Danielle Steel

I almost didn't write a review for this because all Steel books are semi the same. But then I figured I have to have some way to tell them apart.
Yes I do read D.S. Mostly because my mom likes them.........so I read them after her and we can chit chat about them.
I honestly find Steel using the SAME words every time. I am certain within a small percentile near 100 that I could pick out her writing without knowing the author. She uses the same descriptors all of the time. Good for her I guess........I mean you don't see me writing a best seller.
This book is about a group of characters that come together after an earthquake in San Fransisco. Maggie the cute red headed nun, Everette the recovering alcoholic photographer, Sarah the stay at home rich mom with the financial sleaze for a husband........she puts on benefits, and Melanie the teen pop star.
I mostly liked theses characters. Many times I don't like D.S. characters because they are all the same liberal, self centered cuties between different book covers.
Maggie has a great heart and is committed to her vocation. She works in the field hospital after the earthquake. She and Everette fall in love. She leaves her vocation at the end of the book. Honestly.........I'm glad about that. She was doing great acts of service but I wanted her to have personal connections too.
Everette is about two years sober. He is turning his life around and seems like a genuine guy. I liked hearing about his AA experience and making amends. He reunites with his son Chad whom he hasn't seen in 27 years. Maggie helps encourage this.
Sarah has an awesome life at the beginning.......that's how you know things are going to fall apart quickly in a D.S. novel. She finds out moments after the earthquake that her husband Seth has ruined them financially and will be investigated by the FBI and eventually sent to prison. She must learn to forgive him in order to get on with her life. They mention amazing grace a lot when talking about her situation. I suspect that D.S. doesn't understand grace very well.
Melanie is a teen Grammy winner with an overbearing mother. She is preforming at Sarah's benefit when the earthquake happens. Melanie is a smart, gorgeous teen with a heart. She volunteers at the field hospital with Maggie. She learns that she wants to be able to give more of herself and break away from her mom a little. She meets Tom. He just graduated and is an engineer. They fall in love.
Rating 3 Not too bad D.S.
Rating R My biggest complaint.........the F word. Seriously I know people use it, but you don't HAVE to. There are about a billion other words to use, especially if you are a writer. Other wise the goings on are pretty clean.

No comments: