Reading is wickedly delicious!!!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

This book takes place at the end of WWII.........1940's. A spunky, young author, Juliet comes to know the people of the Channel Islands. Historically this was the only part of Great Britain occupied by the Nazis. The book is written through letters between Juliet, her friends, her publisher, and the people of Guernsey Island. She learns so much about the people of the island that she decides to write her next book about them. As a defense against the smothering Nazi occupation some of the island people have made their own literary group........an escapism for the dreary and sometimes hellish occupation.
I think it must have been the title that first turned me off. All it brought to mind was the way potato peels turn rusty and starchy. It made we want to gag and I felt strangely depressed. Nevertheless the book came well recommended. I was able to masticate it in a day.
Juliet is spunky, witty and quite humorous in personality. She at times reminded me of ....me. The other characters are very engaging. I enjoyed that the book was written in letter form, allowing me the luxury of feeling like a bit of a voyeur. I also really liked learning so much about history in story form. I feel compelled to find out more about the Channel Islands and their occupation during WWII.
The literary society twist allowed the authors to bring in other classical authors and their stories in a meaningful and fulfilling manner. I am convinced I need to read Charles Lamb and the lesser known Brontes.
Rating 4 I enjoyed the writing style, the story and the historical information. I am not in love with this book, but it was an easy and stimulating read.
Rating G

No comments: